Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Rustic Refried Beans


I love bacon! You can add bacon to pretty much anything and it will be better. In school we had a Mexican Restaurant night and the Chef told my partner and I to make some refried beans, I had never made them before and didn't have a recipe. Chef gave me a basic way of softening and cooking the beans and then said "Just throw whatever you think would be good in"....So here it is! Serve with Chile Verde pork burritos ,Best Spanish rice and Best guacamole.

Homemade Rustic Refried Beans

1lb bag Pinto Beans 
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 lb bacon, cooked and cut into pieces
2 cups chicken broth
1t  minced garlic

Instructions:
  • Soak pinto beans overnight or cook in water for 1 1/2 hr. Drain and rinse. 
  • Saute onions and garlic until translucent. Add bacon and saute for another minute to get the flavors mixed. 
  • Add the pinto beans and chicken stock/ broth and simmer for another 1 1/2 hrs. When the beans are soft enough to mash I like to blend them with my electric  hand blender, but you can mash them with a potato masher or mixer. 






No comments:

Post a Comment